Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rubber Ducky Cake

I made this cake for Sayer's first birthday. I was trying to decide on a theme to base the cake on, I was trying to think about Sayer and what he likes. Well, he LOVES to take baths, so I went with the rubber ducky theme. I found this cake online, just by browsing through pictures. It was just a picture, and nothing else, but I thought it was so cute, so I just decided to make it up as I went along.

It is a three layer yellow cake (2 8 inch, 1 9 inch) with buttercream frosting. The picture that I saw used fondant for the bucket and bubbles, but since I don't have any fondant or anywhere to buy it, I decided to make english toffee for the bucket. After I made the toffee, I thought how I could have used graham crackers or pretzel rods, and it would have been much easier. Oh well. I thought the toffee looked cute. It was kind of hard to work with, but it all worked out in the end.

For the grass I just used buttercream. The bubbles are whipping cream, which I whipped until it was pretty stiff so that it would keep it's form. I also made some chocolate plastic, which is just white chocolate and karo syrup, and rolled it into balls for rounder looking bubbles.

For the strip around the bucket, I just used foil, which isn't edible, and not super creative, but it worked and looked pretty good I thought.

The cupcakes are just from a box, frosted with buttercream, dyed chocolate plastic for the bubbles and peeps for the "ducks".

The yellow cake and buttercream recipe I used were from Bakerella. I know, I'm branching out from Epicurious! I thought they both turned out really yummy, and the cake was moist!

1 comment:

Jason and Jackie said...

Morgan, i love this cake! The toffee makes it look so great. Definitely worth the trouble. I'll have to remember that. Happy birthday to Sayer! I've never used plastic chocolate. Is it easy or hard to do?